Apply for the 2017-2018 class beginning November 2017
Background on Program
The Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!) is a 6 month after school program that teaches middle and high school students how to start and run their own REAL businesses. YEA! was developed at the University of Rochester in 2004 with the support of a grant from the Kauffman Foundation. The Salisbury Area Chamber is excited to be introducing YEA! to the Salisbury Community!
YEA! guides high school students through the process of starting and running a legitimate business or social movement over the course of a full academic year. As of 2013, YEA! has graduated 1,394 students who have started over 1,000 businesses and social movements! YEA! graduates started as students, and left the program as CEOs of their own companies!
Over the course of the program, students:
- Brainstorm business ideas
- Write a business plan
- Interact with business professionals
- Pitch their business plan to potential “investors” (think ABC’s “Shark Tank”!)
- Obtain funding
- Legally register their businesses
- Participate in a Trade Show
- Actually launch their own businesses or social movements
This program offers students the chance to:
- Develop the skills necessary to launch their own business or social movement (hands-on entrepreneurial experience!)
- Learn about real businesses - why they succeed or fail.
- Hear from local entrepreneurs.
- Launch their own business or social movement!
- Become more confident in their ideas and their abilities.
Organization of Program
YEA! classes will meet November through May, for three hours every Tuesday at Launch/SBY at the Wicomico Public Library. Applications will be accepted from students in grades 6-12.
There are no classes during regular school holidays and recesses. Students are taught by an instructor, but are exposed to guest lecturers, successful entrepreneurs and business mentors. The class goes on field trips to a variety of local businesses. Finally, the students participate in three major events throughout the year: the Investor Panel, Trade Show and a formal graduation ceremony.
Click here for a news clip on our local YEA! program.
Local Champion Sponsor
Investor Panel Sponsor
CEO Roundtable Sponsor:
Media Meet & Greet Sponsor
Elevator Pitch Sponsor
Waters Consulting, Ernie Colburn, & Dave and Bonnie Ennis
Grant Provided By:
& Richard A. Henson Foundation
YEA! Salisbury on Social Media